Book cover: Cirencester Anglo-Saxon Church and Medieval Abbey

Cirencester Anglo-Saxon Church and Medieval Abbey

Author: David Wilkinson and Alan McWhirr

Cirencester Excavations IV. The excavations of an Anglo-Saxon Church and medieval Abbey on the site of the Augustinian abbey of St Mary, Cirencester.

This volume details the excavations on the site of the Augustinian abbey of St Mary, Cirencester, which were directed by David Brown (1965–6), Dr Alan McWhirr (1965), and Professor John Wacher (1964), for the Cirencester Excavation Committee, on behalf of the then Ministry of Public Building and Works. Development proposals threatened a large part of the open space surrounding Abbey House, which stood in 41 acres (16.4 hectares) of landscaped parkland, stretching from the centre of the town to the River Churn on the east. In the event, planning permission was withdrawn, with only minimal housing allowed on the site of Abbey House (demolished in 1964) and around the periphery of the park, the greater part of which remains as a public open space, the Abbey Grounds, in the care of Cirencester Town Council.

Publisher
information

David Wilkinson and Alan McWhirr 1998 Cirencester Anglo-Saxon church and medieval Abbey, Cirencester Excavations IV, Cotswold Archaeological Trust Ltd
Price: Out of print. Download available
Pages: 180
ISBN: 0952319624

You might also be interested in

Aerial view of an archaeological excavation of a Bronze Age barrow cemetery at Picket Twenty, Andover, Hampshire, showing multiple circular ditch structures with internal features.

Picket Twenty: Excavation of a Bronze Age Barrow Cemetery

Excavations at Picket Twenty, Andover, uncovered an Early Bronze Age barrow cemetery, with evidence of later Roman ritual deposition.
Book cover for "The Wreck of the London: Archaeological Investigations of a 17th-century Warship," featuring a detailed 17th-century drawing of a ship's stern, edited by Michael Walsh, with Cotswold Archaeology logo and monograph number 20.

The Wreck of the London

The London was an ship built in 1656. It sank in the Thames Estuary in 1665, preparing for the Second Anglo-Dutch War.
Burnt Mounds book cover

Burnt Mounds and the exploitation of the Suffolk Claylands

This volume focuses on remains of the Beaker period to Late Bronze Age from three excavations on the clay uplands of Suffolk.